Thursday, January 24, 2013

Project Run & Play Week 3: My Littlest Explorer

Sewing along with Project Run & Play is providing me the perfect opportunity to try out all the patterns I have been wanting to sew up.  Last year I purchased Sewing for Boys as I loved every project; the authors have put together a collection of patterns that you really want to sew and your sons (and daughters) really want to wear.  After completing my first project from this book, The Little Heartbreaker Pants as part of Jacob's Christmas outfit, I was so pleased with the challenge and outcome that I made a little resolution to sew at least one project from each of the six chapters.  Pumped about this!

Right, so this week is Boy's Week at P R&P and I used THREE projects from the book, fabric I already had in my stash, and went with the theme, My Littlest Explorer!

First is the long sleeve Raglan tee size 4/5. (love that it only takes a 1/2 yard to make)  I used an organic cotton 1x1 ribknit espresso/charcoal stripe. Jacob is only 2 1/2 but his chest measurement was 24" which was the 4/5 size, so the shirt is long enough to tuck in which is nice during the winter and he always pushes up his sleeves so I didn't need to worry they'd be long.  The fabric is nice and stretchy so this should last a few seasons....I hope!


Next I sewed up Pauley's Pullover, a satisfying quick sew.  Love this heavy organic cotton fleece in Royal blue and trimmed with olive green, again in size 4/5 due to chest measurements.  I shortened the sleeves and added the contrast cuff. It has a drawstring waist to keep the chill out.  So warm and cozy.


Finally, my fav, the Treasure Pocket pants!  I cut into a pair of brown Gap twill (?) pants that fit me poorly for the main body and used Ed Emberley's organic cotton Forest Friends as the trim, size 2/3.  They are a touch long right now so I made the hem fold over to show more of the forest friends.  Jacob wears cloth diapers and up until now I have been sewing Rae's Big Butt Baby Pants for him so now it's nice to have another pant option.  


Since it was about 4 degrees outside we just did a quickie shot in natural light of the whole outfit!

Love it!
Head on over to Project Run & Play to see all the great boy's week clothes and vote for your favorite designer on Friday.

Melissa


4 comments:

  1. Great outfit! I love the pants-shirt combination.
    (I made a raglan shirt too this week, one of my favourite patterns )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it was fun! the raglan is such a great, easy project with nice results :)

      Delete
  2. I have that book and love it too. I have been meaning to make those pocket pants for a long time. I made my daughter a raglan tee with that pattern tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I love the look of all those projects and can't wait to do more!

      Delete