Sunday, January 12, 2014

Quick Catchup

I wanted to share the maternity Turn About the Room dress by Miriam of Mad Mim I sewed up this summer for the last trimester with my 5th baby.  My husband had the kids outside with him one Saturday so I had multiple hours of uninterrupted sewing time to sew up two dresses, the first one, was this, and I love how comfy and put together it is!


It has also been great post baby (easy on the mid-section :) ) and paired with a nursing tank, works well for breastfeeding.
The details...
I sewed up the small/medium in a drapey "perfect brown" cotton/spandex fabric from girlcharlee.com. I took it in an inch in each side and took in the belt as well, I cut the recommended length at first, then held it up to myself to get a close-fitting length that would allow stretch for the last months but also not be too baggy after the baby.  I also made cap sleeves instead of the 3/4 length and made it hit just above the knee; a more flattering length for my 5'5" height.
The second dress was Megan Nielsen's ruched maternity shirt extended to a dress.  I attempted to cut the neckline deeper to make it easier for breastfeeding when paired with a nursing tank, but the fabric I chose was tissue-thin and didn't work so well for me.  But I love the color and am planning to cut it up and make a drapey shirt that will be forgiving on my post baby belly!  The pattern itself was super quick and easy, especially on my serger, I highly recommend it!
Okay, signing off to do some weekend sewing with my kiddos.  Next up I'll be sharing clothing I've been making for the newest addition!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment