Friday, February 8, 2013

Week 5: Daddy's Shirt and Pants Upcycle for Project Run & Play


At first he wanted nothing to do with it, but now that we call it his Work Suit, he loves it!




It is week 5 in the Project Run and Play Challenge and it took me until Wednesday to decide how I wanted to refashion my husband's old flannel work shirt.  At first I thought a dress for my daughter Morgan then I thought I'd play it safe with a skirt.   Then I saw that most everyone was doing one of those in the PR&P pool so I decided to challenge myself (about 6 hours from start to finish, egads!) with a new but basic pattern and inspiration from here.

I used my Kwik Sew for Toddlers book, the Kwik Sew books are great to have in your sewing book stash as they offer tons of basic patterns that you can get a good jump from to make your own designs.  I cut out a size 4T for the jumpsuit with the neck facing and a collar.  Jacob wears cloth diapers and I wanted the coveralls worksuit to fit over a set of clothes as well so he could wear it while working with daddy in the woodshop and garage.



I cut the flannel shirt apart, laid out the pieces and quickly realized I would need more fabric to get the length I wanted.  My husband suggested using his work pants that had giant holes in the knees, but the backs were virtually perfect!  I cut the legs as shorts and then added the difference with the work pants.  I also used one of the rear pockets of the pants as a side pocket cause every kid needs a few big pockets!  I kept the sleeves and cuffs and the front pocket and reused the buttons.  Because this was a work shirt there were a lot of holes even after cutting around some so I used a thick and soft blue flannel to patch holes before I even started piecing the jumpsuit together.  It was a lot of prep over all but a fun challenge.  ALL the seams are serged so I am hoping he'll wear this A LOT!

here are 2 of the 3 blue patches (sleeve and thigh) and the reused side pocket


A few action shots.....







Love my little guy!
Stop over at Project Run and Play and see all the fun Men's Shirt Refashions and vote for your favorite!

Melissa


3 comments: